Children of Elizabeth Boyd Gould
& Heber Robert McBride

  • Elnora Elizabeth McBride & Christian David Peterson
  • Mary Evalee McBride & James Norman Fackrell
  • Delecta McBride & Sterling Floyd Wilde
  • Ira Robert McBride & Fanny Wooley
  • Detta Olive McBride & Edwin Ross Buckwalter
  • Omer Gould McBride
Scroll down to see each individual

ELNORA ELIZABETH MCBRIDE - Eldest Child in the Family of Heber Robert McBride and Elizabeth Boyd Gould. (m. Christian David Peterson)

(Written and submitted by a daughter, Elnora Peterson, Saby)

Elnora Elizabeth Gould Brown McBride Peterson was born in Ogden, Utah, March 20, 1879. When she was five years old, her mother, Elizabeth Boyd Gould Brown, married Heber Robert McBride, (Elizabeth Boyd Gould was first married to a Mr. Brown, a constable in Ogden, Utah. When she later married Heber Robert McBride, her daughter Elnora was adopted by Heber as his own, and sealed to him at the time of their marriage.) and they made their home in Eden, Weber County, Utah.

Mother attended school in Eden and met my dad, Christian David Peterson, at a local dance. Dad fell in love with her and often referred to her as the most beautiful girl in the valley. She was a petite 5 ft. 2 in. brunette with a sweet disposition. They were married in the Salt Lake Temple February 25, 1903.

Very soon after the wedding, they left by train to make their home in Canada. It was a narrow-gauge railroad that ended in Stirling, Alberta, 20 miles from their destination of Welling, Alberta. This area was to be their home for the rest of their lives. Dad had previously purchased land for $10.00 per acre. He also arranged to purchase property for Grandpa Heber McBride where their family came in a few years and lived nearby.

Early in life my mother exhibited wonderful qualities of motherhood. In the home she had been taught to become an excellent seamstress and was a perfectionist in drafting patterns and making clothes. To her younger brothers and sisters she had been more like a mother than an elder sister. She helped with delivery and nursing needs for many of the new mothers in their primitive surroundings. Doctors and medical care were miles away with little or no transportation.

Pioneer life was difficult for Mother as Dad was away part of the time caring for herds of thousands of sheep. She held many church positions in Relief Society and Primary, but mostly she can be remembered for her selfless caring for those in need. Serene and quiet, she had no thought of personal reward.

Mother and Dad's retirement years in Raymond, Alberta, were full of love for each other, their family and church. They had 62 years together and until the end held hands when saying the blessing on the food. Mother passed away February 25, 1965, in Raymond. Dad was buried beside his lifelong sweetheart, having passed away September 7, 1972. They are side by side in the family plot on Temple Hill, near Raymond.

I shall be eternally grateful for the loving memories of my childhood, the understanding and beautiful example set for me and my family, and the community that was their home.

The following is extracted from the personal journal of another daughter, Gladys Peterson Gibb. She writes concerning her mother in endearing terms:

Mother had a sweet, quiet personality. Never lifted her voice crossly or spoke a negative word about anyone. She never sought for position or the lime-light, but was always the first to give help at the arrival of a new baby or where there was sickness or a death in the community. She also helped with baking and sewing for weddings.

She loved dearly her half brothers and sisters and also her step brothers and sisters. Our home was often the gathering place for family Christmas dinners, parties and reunions. When her step sister, Amber, died leaving seven children, the oldest seventeen and the youngest seven months, Mother took the baby to raise. She was also Mother to the other six children, helping with sewing, bread baking, washing and ironing and our home became their home for several years.

During the depression years, when many men were unemployed and many knocked on our door looking for work, mother fed dozens. Never was anyone turned away. Finding an unused sweater for some, a cap, a pair of mitts, or socks for another, sewing on a button, mending a rip in a pair of pants or jackets, each one was treated with empathy and kindness.

Mother and father were respected, admired and loved by old and young. The older folks collected at their home to play Chinese checkers and to have a cup of hot chocolate. The children came by the dozens just to visit or to collect Halloween treats or mother's valentine cookies.

Mother was always supportive of father, and father admits to her abilities in knowing in advance the correct moves to make as if she had some kind of extra guidance. Although mother's health was not the best in her later years, she was able to fill a sixteen month mission with father in California. She supported us children in all our projects and endeavors and was a loving mother to many of our friends and pals.

Return to Top of Page


MARY EVALEE MCBRIDE - Second Child in the Family of Heber Robert McBride and Elizabeth Boyd Gould. (m. James Norman Fackrell)

Mary Evalee McBride was born 6 July, 1887, in Logan, Cache County, Utah. Her mother was the second wife of Heber McBride in a polygamous marriage. Upon the death of Heber's first wife, May, 1894, Elizabeth came to Eden, Utah, to join her husband and care for both families. At this time Mary Evalee was seven years of age.

Mary attended school in Eden, attaining the equivalent of a junior high school education. In the winter months the snow often reached a depth of four or five feet, completely covering the fences. Going to school or to church, a distance of nearly three miles, often required a sleigh ride. Many times the distance would be negotiated on foot.

Mary had hopes of continuing her education, but circumstances didn't permit. The family's financial situation required her help at home where all were needed to make a living. Early in life she worked hard and shared much responsibility with the large family on the farm.

Mary cherished the experiences of her youth in the Ogden Valley. The McKay family, who lived in Huntsville, a neighboring community, she knew very well. In later years she would look back on her association with David O. McKay and his wife with fondness and pride. He was destined to become the Prophet of the church.

Early in her teens Mary met James Norman Fackrell, a serious minded, industrious young man who worked on a farm for his uncle. Their mutual attraction saw them through a year-and-a-half courtship; then they married, October 15, 1903, she not yet seventeen.

About this time her parents were making plans to move to Canada. Mary had chosen not to go with them, but rather to marry James and remain in the Ogden Valley.

The newly married couple soon found it necessary to move to other locations to find employment to support a family. During the forty-six years of their marriage, her husband worked at a variety of jobs in a number of locations in Utah and California. He worked for years in the mines in Bountiful, Mercur, and Park City. In American Fork he helped build a school house. In the late 1920's James landed a good-paying job as the main powder man with the Union Pacific Railroad, as they built the second track and rebuilt the tunnels between Salt Lake City and Las Vegas, Nevada. In a boxcar, converted to living quarters, they lived for a time in Stein, Nevada, while the four youngest of their children were yet at home.

Work with the Union Pacific took them to yet other locations: San Bernardino, Huntington Park and Riverside, all in California. At one time, during the period of the Great Depression, James took a leave of absence from the railroad to work on the construction of the Hoover Dam. Subsequently back with the railroad, however, he retired at Riverside.

A man of great ability and one of deep religious convictions, James succumbed to a health condition that had its beginning in the mines of Utah. Breathing the dust of coal and silver mines had brought on what was called "black lung." That, together with further job-related conditions with the railroad, eventually developed into cancer. He passed away March 7, 1949, just short of age sixty-eight.

Mary and James had had a beautiful life together. They had a family of eleven children, seven of whom grew to maturity. During all her years of moving about, Mary's life was filled with charity and service to others. She took nurse's training and became an accomplished practical nurse. She worked as midwife with several different doctors. Her busy life also included work as a seamstress for an industrial firm where she made chenille bedspreads.

Following her husbands death, Mary lived alone for a number of years. On July 6, 1967, her eightieth birthday, Mary moved to Salt Lake City, Utah, to be near one of her older boys, William H. Fackrell. Here she remained until May, 1983, at which time she moved to Upland, California, to live with her youngest daughter, Letha, and her husband, Charles Thomas.

At this writing (March 1988), Mary Evalee is nearing her one hundred first birthday (July 6). She is in good health and good spirits. During the past year she has had a pacemaker implanted, which has proven a great benefit to her general good health. She performs useful tasks about the house; she loves to visit and converse with friends. She attends church, writes letters and loves to receive mail and go for rides.

During her long life this lovely lady has participated in practically every facet of the program of the church, including, in her later years, many visits to the temple in Los Angeles to do ordinance work for departed loved ones.

Typical of the high esteem in which she is held by all her descendants are these thoughts expressed by her daughter, Letha: "Mary has always been a hard worker, a devoted wife and mother - always there when her children needed her, very loving and giving of her time and talents. Active in Primary for a number of years, she received awards for her accomplishments. She worked many years in Relief Society which was very dear to her. She often traveled miles to help someone or to see that people were able to attend their meetings." This venerable lady is admired and cherished by a grateful posterity and a host of friends. To know Mary Evalee is to love her.

Return to Top of Page


DELECTA MCBRIDE - Third Child and Third Daughter of Heber Robert McBride and Elizabeth Boyd Gould (m. Sterling Floyd Wilde)

Delecta McBride was born June 12,1895, in Eden, Weber County, Utah. She was her mother's third child (the first being by a previous marriage), and her father's thirteenth child. Her father's first wife, Elizabeth Burns McBride, had died slightly more than a year before Delecta was born.

In the spring of 1904, Delecta then five years of age, the family migrated to Canada. In the town of Welling, Alberta, she grew up and completed eight years of grade schooling. She subsequently attended the Knight Academy in Raymond, Alberta, to complete her high school education.

Throughout her youth Delecta was no stranger to hard work. As a member of a large family, she willingly shouldered her share of the household and other chores incident to life on a farm, often under primitive conditions. She also worked several years in the dry goods section for the Raymond Mercantile Company of Raymond.

he married Stirling Floyd Wilde of Welling, July 17,1918, in the Manti Temple in Utah. Her husband served as Bishop in the church for a period of twenty-five years (1929-1954). Besides the many responsibilities associated with being a bishop's wife, Delecta held many positions in her ward - among them Primary President and Relief Society worker. On the farm she worked hard, cooking for threshing crews and sugar beet workers.

Six children were born to Delecta and Stirling, four of whom they raised to maturity. The first lived but a year and a half; the last died at birth. Along with all her other undertakings, this indefatigable lady grew large vegetable gardens, raised chickens and maintained a lovely home. She also enjoyed entertaining others. In her home visitors were always welcome. Growing flowers was a pleasant hobby.

At this writing (1988), Delecta is ninety-three, and resides in a retirement lodge. She still rises at 6:30 to bathe, put on her nylons, best dress, and always some jewelry before going down to breakfast. She is the "grand" lady of the community, revered and loved by all. She doesn't retire for the night until she has read the evening paper.

(The foregoing was submitted by her daughter Melba)

Return to Top of Page


IRA ROBERT MCBRIDE - Fourth Child and First Son of Heber Robert McBride & Elizabeth Boyd Gould (m. Fanny Woolley)

Born September 10, 1896, in Eden, Weber County, Utah, Ira Robert McBride grew up in a very large family, his mother being his father's second wife in a polygamous marriage. In his father's first family there were eleven children, all older than Ira. In his own mother's family there were six children, three sisters older and two sisters younger than Ira. He gives this appraisal of his early childhood, "I was brought up in a happy home with a very happy childhood, in a family where everyone had to help to keep things going. My father was a man who never quarreled with anyone. He was very likeable and had much patience with me. - We never had much money. In fact, as a child I never remember having any money to spend; but we always had a comfortable home to live in, and something to eat, and clothes to wear, even though they were made-overs."

When just short of eight years of age, Ira moved with his family to Alberta, Canada. In the small town of Welling he grew to maturity, taking part in many activities in school, church and community. Schooling, however, was limited because of the time Ira was required to spend helping his father and the others on the farm. With a special talent for music, in school he participated in operas and plays. He played the drums in the school band and took piano and vocal lessons. A recitation of later endeavors in the field of music is impressive: "In January of 1912 I was made Sunday School Chorister at Welling (ward). I was Stake Sunday School Music Director for twenty-one years. I, have been Ward Choir Leader (and) Stake M.I.A. Regional Director. - I also sang with a male quartet while attending the Knight Academy, called the Buzzards. I sang with Frank Taylor's quartet for twenty-eight years, and we sang at 120 funerals."

Over a period of several years Ira courted Fanny Woolley, a local girl. They were married June 4, 1919, in the Salt Lake Temple, and the couple took up farming. By 1925, however, Ira left the farm and went to work in Raymond, Alberta, for the Mercantile Company. He remained associated with that business until his retirement in the early 1960's.

During long productive lives Ira and Fannie remained true to the traditions of their parents; to be of service to their fellow beings and promote the cause of the Gospel. they raised six lovely daughters. Planted firmly in the faith from his youth, Ira saw to it that he and his family were always involved in the many activities of the church. As he grew up he held the various offices of the priesthood, attended regularly to his Sunday duties, led others in the auxiliary organizations, and shared his musical talents. He loved to study the Scriptures, and did extensive reading on gospel subjects. In his later years he and his wife did a great deal of temple work. Also in his later years Ira served three stake missions and a mission in British Columbia with his wife. Indeed, Ira McBride was recognized as a man of great moral and spiritual strength.

A short sketch Ira made of his own life goes far to give us a profile of the man. Of his autumn years, he wrote:

"Of all recreations I enjoyed family gatherings most. I have played golf, but it took me away from home and family and church activities, so I gave it up. I used to love to play ball and softball, but now I am content to just work in the garden and flower garden. I have always enjoyed a good game of rook with family and neighbors.

We did not have many trips together and not too many parties together until later years. Now we have get-togethers, and all seem to enjoy each others company. Mom and I car ride for relaxation. I have been in church activity all my life; there has never been a time since I was fifteen years of age that I haven't had some position in the church, and I still do." (1979) (Taken from material Ira had written himself).

Ira passed away in Raymond, Alberta, Feb. 10, 1985 at eighty-eight years of age.

Return to Top of Page


DETTA OLIVIA MCBRIDE - Fifth Child, Fourth Daughter of Heber Robert McBride and Elizabeth Boyd Gould. (m. Edwin Ross Buckwalter)

Detta Olivia McBride was born in Eden, Weber County, Utah, 7 November 1898, the daughter of Heber Robert McBride and Elizabeth Boyd Gould. she spent the first five years of her life in Eden, after which the family moved to Welling, Alberta, Canada, where she lived until 1924. At that time, she moved to American Fork, Utah County, Utah. She served an LDS mission to the Northern States in 1928-29.

Soon after her return, she was married, 10, September, 1930, in the Salt Lake Temple to Edwin Ross Buckwalter. He was born 6 February, 1896 in American Fork, the son of John Edwin and Eliza Wild Buckwalter. Ross and Detta were the parents of four children.

Detta was trained as a secretary, bookkeeper and office manager. While still living in Canada, she was employed at Raymond Mercantile in Raymond, Alberta. After moving to American Fork, she worked for Chipman Mercantile. Following the birth of her children, she remained at home until being asked to head the local office of Price Administration during World War II. Following this, she was employed at Whipple Lumber in Lehi, Utah, then Greenwood Motors in American Fork, and finally fourteen years as Office Manager of the Utah State Training School in American Fork; retiring in 1965. During her working career, her beloved husband passed away, 26 April, 1954 and is buried in the American Fork cemetery.

Ever willing to serve, Detta was active in the church all of her life. She served for many years on the Stake Boards of the Sunday School and Relief Society, and was also in the Stake Presidency of the YWMIA. She was also active in the community, having served as PTA President and president of her Women's Literary League.

Detta was a talented musician. During her younger years, she played the piano and violin, as well as sang. It was her beautiful contralto singing voice for which she is most remembered. she was a member of, and also conducted, many choruses and choirs in both the community and the church. Her children remember her singing louder than anyone else during congregational hymns in church, and rather than being proud of her beautiful voice, they were somewhat embarrassed that she sang so lustily.

Other hobbies included reading, particularly gospel subjects, of which she was a scholar. She also liked to do needlework, especially needlepoint, and many of her lovely needlepoint creations are found in her children's homes today. In her later years, she became an avid gardener, and the beautifully landscaped grounds around her home were well known in the community. She also enjoyed traveling, having made several trips to Canada to see members of the family living there. She also made trips to California to visit her children, a trip to Hawaii when her daughter Kathleen was married in the Hawaiian Temple, two trips to the Eastern U.S., as well as trips to various National Parks in the Western U.S. and Canada.

Detta is fondly remembered by many nieces and nephews, who have commented that she was their favorite aunt. She is also fondly remembered by her children as having worked very hard all of her life, and as being a devoted follower of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. A devoted wife and mother, business manager, spiritual leader, lover of nature, and withall, a beautiful, talented lady; Detta passed away July 13, 1968, surrounded by a host of those she had loved and served; and is buried beside her husband in the American Fork cemetery. (Submitted by her daughter Barbara).

Return to Top of Page


OMER GOULD MCBRIDE - Sixth (last Child and Second Son of Heber Robert McBride and Elizabeth Boyd Gould (Not married)

Omer Gould McBride was born February 7,1901, in Eden, Weber County, Utah, the last child of his father's 2nd family in a polygamous marriage. Shortly after his birth the McBride family was "called" by church authorities to migrate to Canada, there to join others and help put the church on a firm footing in the area near Raymond, Alberta. Omer was barely three years old when the move took place in June, 1904.

The family settled in the fledgling Latter-day-Saint community of Welling, Alberta, and this is where Omer spent his early life on the farm with older brothers and sisters. He attended the schools of the area.

An untimely incident caused his life to be cut short. The meager account of his life has it that the family car needed repair, and on a day that was cold and wet, he edged under the car to fix it. From this unselfish act of service he caught a cold which developed into pneumonia. He passed away March 26, 1918, one month past his seventeenth birthday.

Family tradition has it that Omer was a rather shy young boy who loved music and enjoyed going to school. He was attentive to his church duties and had a kind and loving disposition. Only a short time before his passing he had been ordained to the office of Priest in the Aaronic Priesthood. (Submitted by Melva Ririe Baker)

Return to Top of Page