Daughter of Samuel Lewis and Sarah Jane Huntsman
Second wife of Peter Howard McBride

Written by her daughter Laura Smith

Click for Histories of Children of Laura & Peter Howard McBride

Laura Lewis McBride was born January 16, 1865, in Minersville, Utah. She was the seventh daughter of Samuel Lewis and Sarah Jane Huntsman. There were 12 children in the family and her mother said she was born on the coldest night of the whole year.

It was in the fall of 1880 that Grandpa decided to sell out and move to Arizona. He had been told there were opportunities there and the winters were not so cold--the snow would cover the top of the fences in mid-winter in Panguitch. They felt insecure going out into a strange country and not knowing what they would have to endure. But they had the true pioneer spirit.

Mother continued school in Pima--her teacher being S. F. Wilson. He was a cripple and a small man but a very good teacher. He played the violin and gave many happy hours of lovely music to the community. Mother was in the fourth reader and learned a lot from him: (We still have that old reader and it is full of good poems that are beautiful and are still read today). She went to school on the lot only a block from where she lived. It was a public square then and they built a big log house on it. She told me of going to Mutual there with Rhoda Foster as her teacher. They put on plays and all sorts of entertainment. She really enjoyed it.

Grandfather found a good spring of water up on the Cottonwood wash. He cleared a piece of ground, fenced and ploughed it and for several years he raised fine vegetables. He also had a young orchard ready to bear fruit of which he was so proud. He spent most of his time there and would come home week ends. One day he was riding a mule and fell, hurting his leg so he couldn't go back to work that day; so he stayed home and went back the next day. To his amazement, he found his property in a terrible state. The fences were torn down, posts broken over, the garden trampled into the ground, and even his lovely fruit trees chopped down. Such a scene of destruction. Well, Grandfather thought a lot about it and decided the hand of the Lord was with him; causing him to hurt his leg or he would have been right in the middle of this awful tragedy and might have been killed.

Mother lived in Pima with her parents for a couple of years and during that time, she and her sister, Malinda, joined the Ward choir. A man by the name of Peter Howard McBride was the leader and the members learned many songs. They didn't have an organ so he used a tuning fork. He would bite it with his teeth, pull it from his mouth and it would sound the "A". This was the method they used for pitch until they got an organ. They learned many anthems and sang from the heart for the choir loved to sing. There wasn't much amusement in those days so they really enjoyed singing songs for Church and various entertainment.

It was the custom in those days for the Mormon men to marry more than one wife. Mother liked the choir director very much and one night they were having a birthday party for him. All the choir members were invited so Mother and her sister Malinda went. Mother had her eye on his man and found favor with him so this night she took a little present to the party and gave it to him. Here is a poem he wrote her after accepting it.


1. Your present a very nice gift and most highly I prize it I'm sure. Whatever you trust with me you will ever see, 'that it is safe and secure.

2. With scrutinizes I have viewed it with care, but a match and no more can I make of it So I have laid it away and careful I'11 be, for fear accidentally I'll break it.

3. What e're be the secret of this little gift, I trust that we may both agree, If your object was pure, most pure which I doubt not I'm sure.

4. You say if I am not pleased I can soon be relieved, for twill take but a moment to burn it, Or easier still I can if I will, justly and kindly return it.

5. But none of these terms suit me at all, There is but one way it can be ignited, For better or for worse; for good or for bad, It will take both you and I to strike it.

This scrap of paper has been somewhere all these years; followed us to Mexico twice and where it had been all this time is hard to tell. It has been found in good condition; well written and in Father's own hand writing and is a great relic. Mother and Father thought a lot of each other and he asked her to marry him. Her parents did not like the idea of her marrying a man with a wife and family. She had other boy friends but her heart was set on this man, so after much deliberation, Ruth, his wife, gave her consent and it was decided that they should get married.

The Pima choir had been doing a lot of practicing for conference to be held in Snowflake, Arizona; a long way off and difficult to get there. But the people in those days didn't hesitate to take long trips as they were used to bad roads and bad weather. Bedding and clothing stored and when everything was packed on the morning of September 21, 1881 the choir started out. There were many teams and wagons. Father had one, Winfred Moody had another. He took Grandmother Lewis, Aunt Malinda and mother in his wagon. (Grandmother Lewis went along to chaperon her girls). Malinda was sick most of the time. She would become very i1l, it was discouraging. But they finally got to their destination and all sang for conference. It was a good spiritual feast with visitors from Salt Lake and they sang for one session--then the Snowflake choir sang at the next session. Later both choirs combined and sang together, it was one grand time. After the services were over, the choir went home but there were several wagon loads of singers going on to St. George to go through the temple and be married. There was Joseph K. Rogers (taking 2 girls to marry) Malinda to Winfred Moody, Amanda Reynolds to marry Eli Dodge and my parents to be married and a few others. They traveled several weeks to get there through all kinds of weather. They were just 40 days from the time they left Pima until they got to St. George. In the evenings they would camp, get supper over and spend the evening singing and dancing. Grandmother used to grumble at things and put a damper on the fun.. After leaving Sowflake they all traveled together until they reached Panguitch. Mother and Grandmother wanted to see their old home and friends so they stopped at that place for a day or so while the rest of the company traveled on. My parents went up town in the evening to see the sights. It was a lovely moonlight night and they had a good time. On the way back they stopped by the gate of her old home which mother never expected to see again when they left there nearly three years before. But there it stood all lighted up and strangers living in it. They hung on the gate and sang "Goodbye Dear Old Home ". It brought tears to her eyes but it was wonderful for her to see her old home again.

A couple of years ago, I fell heir to a little diary of my Father's. It was only pocket size and very brief but it gives more about my parents on their wedding trip than any other information I've found. Neither of my parents ever said much about or gave many details of their trip to get married, but this little diary gives quite an account of it. I will just give it in brief here as I have it copied word for word in my diary of Father's life.

We got to St. George the 28th of October 1882: The next day we went to Conference and heard some very good speaking. Erastus Snow was the main speaker. (He is Maggie's Father-in-law) The next day we went out riding; took Malinda with us. We stopped at a music store and I bought Laura an accordion. On November 1st, we went through the temple in forenoon then in afternoon we went through and were married for time and eternity. Father's sister (Maggie as they called her) invited us to stay with her and was nice to us. She gave us a party, dance and supper. We sang and had a very good time..: They had a dandy horse and buggy which was at our disposal and we really knew how to use it. We drove to Santa Clara and spent our first night there. We really enjoyed our visit at Maggie’s. We played games, sang songs ate grapes, arid candy; just visited there until Sunday evening then we started home: 0 yes, we stopped and had our pictures taken on our way home.

Winfred and Malinda were married November 9, 1882 but they all traveled together coming home. My father was no hand to grumble, but he had to write something once in a while about Grandma Lewis. She seemed rather pessimistic and a little hard to please. "We camped alone the first night out of St. George; then the next night Winfred, Malinda and her mother caught up with us and we traveled together. The snow was bad, so cold, the wind blowed hard and the roads were bad; so much uphill. I lost my water barrel, had to go back and find it; I took my gun along, tried to shoot a rabbit. Shot some ducks on a small Lake and we managed to sleep warm, cook our meals in some sheltered place when we couldn't find a friend to stop with for the night. Now I had many friends along that old road. People I have known so well around Ogden and Eden. Father tells of stopping at nights with many old friends. I will only dwell on one in particular, and that was Brother Williams. "Now he married my little step sister and we were such good pals growing up--just like brother and sister. Dr. Williams had a big ranch in southern Utah and we stopped there for the night. We really enjoyed ourselves---both wagons stayed. We were all fed. Our teems had plenty and we slept in the house; had a wonderful evening singing and dancing." Now he tells of stopping over night several times and coming home with just that kind of hospitality. Father had many friends and a lot of them scattered down through Utah into Arizona; taking up homes and raising cattle and farming. Several of them finally came to the valley. There is where Brother Williams and his wife Liddy Ferrin Williams settled. (In Pima)

"My mother, Margaret McBride, (Peter Howard's mother) after coming to Utah, went to live at the home of Samuel Ferrin to care for his family of motherless boys. She stayed there awhile working for him and caring for his family as well as her own children--then later she married this man: He had a little girl named Lindy Ferrin and she and I were brought up together as brother and sister. When Samuel married several other women, mother decided she could do better living with her sons so she moved into a one room house. Janetta married one of Samuel's sons Jacob, and mother and the rest of the family cared for themselves until we were all married,"

Fathers old diary says: "December 9--Winfred Moody got up early and went off. We didn't see him any more.

Got home at darks found everything all right. But we were tired and the crops were a failure. (And why shouldn't they be) "We all lived together on the McBride lot in Pima--driving back add forth to the farm each day to care for the crops.

We made adobes so we could build a one-room house down there on the farm to be closer to our work. The Indians were bad so we had to stay together when they broke out and went on the warpath." This was the summer of 1883, and my father put in a lot of corn that spring. "I, Peter H. taught school in the fall in Pima just got in one month when we had a smallpox scare. A child came down with it, so the trustees thought it best to close the school for a time. I went to Solomonville to draw my check of $80.00. We had lots of corn that year and pumpkins also. We lived in Pima while the adobe house was being built on the farm and Ruth and Laura would take the children and pull off corn all day and in the evenings I would come and haul it in to Pima and it took most of the winter to gather the crops and we worked hard to care for them and build the house. When it was finished Ruth moved down there, but when we heard of the Indians coming we would all hurry to Pima for protection. Laura lived in the log house in Pima for some time and on March 24th, a baby girl was born to her there in the log house. We blessed her "Laura" in honor of her mother."

Laura Lewis & Laura McBride

There was trouble with the government over polygamy as practiced among the Mormon people, and when I was about a year old, someone had to leave the United States, either Mother or Aunt Ruth. It was decided that mother should go, so she and Father took me to Old Mexico. It was a hard old trip. They went to Corolitis and there my father put in crops on shares for a farmer and so did several other men in the same trouble but the crops were a failure. The drought came and things dried up and they got so discouraged that they had to leave and come back home. Aunt Ruth stayed here with her little boys but they were too young to be of any help on the farm, and father went deeper into debt.

Ether was born August 13, 1886 down on the farm and later we lived in the old log house in Pima on the McBride lot. I can remember so well seeing him lying on the hearth crying. I was rocking him in his cradle and turned it over in the fireplace while Mother was gone after water. I screamed, ran out of the door and Mother dropped her buckets and ran into the house quickly picking him up. His wrist was blistered very badly, leaving scars that remained for years.

Mother never told me but I have heard that she tore at the old log house in Pima until finally it caved in and fell and that Father was quite put out about the loss of it, as there was only one room built at that time, on the farm. I think then is when father put a kitchen on the back. Still it was quite crowded but we lived there for sometime.

My little brother, Junius, was born on July 4, 1888. I don’t remember much about him, but he died with the measles. We all had them and I can remember how sick I was..

We lived in Aunt Janetta Ferrin’s house for some time, and while here mother had a little girl, a pretty baby., and she was named Della, born November 16, 1890.

In the early spring of 1891, as soon as father could get to the mountain, he started hauling lumber down to the McBride lot. Mother and we children would go out in the evening on the sidewalk and listen for the sound of the wagon coming down off the hills as it meant a house, a home of her own. Mother planted a garden on the lot so we could have plenty of vegetables. We moved into this house when it didn’t have a window or door. Mother would hang sheets up to the windows and a quilt up to the door. She was so happy as this was the first time in her married life she was able to live in her own home. She had fruit trees and everything and was so happy but something always had to spoil it. Father had gone back to Mexico and either mother or Aunt Ruth had to go and it was mother’s turn. So we left the new house and went to Mexico. We lived in a tent and father built a shed in front so mother took a big gunny sack, put a rock in each corner, tied it tight and hung it up under the shed where it was cool, making a nice hammock.

One day while Della was sleeping in the hammock a herd of wild cattle came stampeding through the camp and ran right under our shed. One ran right under Della in her little bed. I saw it toss her up to the top of the shed but she didn’t get hurt. If she had fallen out she would have been trampled to death.

Mother must have stayed in Mexico until the next summer as we came home in warm weather. Mr. Johnson was coming home and brought mother and us three children with him. While we were gone father sold the house and lot in Pima so we all lived down on the farm together again. It was there little Cora was born on June 10, 1893. she was a pretty baby, with golden hair, blue eyes and we did love her so. Soon after she was born father tore up the old granary, hauled it up on the corner of his farm and there built mother a shanty to live in—one room with a bush shed half way around it.

Aunt Ruth talked Dad into mortgaging the farm for a thousand dollars to set the boys up in business of cattle raising. Mother wanted some of the estate but she didn’t want a mortgage on it so she talked Dad into deeding her 20 acres of raw mesquite land way up on the south end away from neighbors and all alone, so he did just that. She got settled and lived the rest of her life there. Little Cora got sick and passed away, she sure did suffer. .Mother took in work and Dad took her flour and food and gave her two cows, made corrals, brought in hay and Mother was fixed up quite comfortably. We had lots of dry wood close by and that helped. We didn’t have a well there and we went to Foster’s to get water for the washing and everything.

On October 21, 1895, Clyde was born in this little house. Grace came along in 1897. Ether, Della and I had to walk to school through mesquite thickets and sandy roads winding around the hills to get to school, but we were seldom late. Mother was scared or worried at times living so far away but she put up a bold front. We had lots of trouble with rattle snakes in the native land. One more little baby came to live with us and mother named her Keturah Flo, she never liked that name but that was the way with all of us.

We lived in that old shanty with a shed and a closed in tent for several years, then in 1906 when I married Hyrum , Ether got lumber and other material to build mother a house and Hyrum came over weekends and holidays from Eden and helped on the house.

During these years Dad was always busy with the Pima Dramatic Club and all of his choirs, and teaching music.

I have been trying to find out when we got the organ but no one seems to know. Ether says he paid for it. I do know that it was damaged when it came and mother didn't want to pay it all up until it was made good but the company never did do it. It was a lovely organ with a good tone and we did appreciate it. I learned a lot of Sunday School pieces on it but it was hard for me. Della was the one who took to it. She learned to play it without a teacher. It came easy for her as she already knew how to read music (as we all did) and did she make that organ sing. We would all get around it in the evenings and sing for hours. It was the joy of our hearts. We must have gotten the organ about 1890 as Della was nine years old. I tried to play before Della was big enough but she was so quick at it that I didn't stand much chance. When we moved into the new house it was so pretty in there with the little brackets for lamps and other things and a lovely mirror.

Ether had a guitar he used to play on and sing; One evening he sat out on the steps playing and heard a snake rattling and there close to him was a big rattler standing up ready to strike. It had been charmed by the music I guess. Ether killed it.

Mother used to go help the sick a lot. The family she worked for had one child and both the mother and father had good jobs--being well able to pay for her services she had been hired to do. Mother worked very hard and had to walk to and from their home, about a mile. When she was through she charged them $1:00 per day. It nearly floored this woman. She couldn't think of hiring a woman and paying her a whole dollar a day. She carried on so that after she reluctantly paid mother she left the money in the woman's cupboard and didn't take a cent. Dr. Dryden got her to help him sometimes and he offered her a steady job, but she turned down the offer as she didn't want to be tied down. She waited on me when 10 babies were born but she always went home to sleep when night came. She had to go home to sleep.

Mother loved to dance and sing. One time we were having a dance out across the Rail Road tracks by the Glenbar store. There was a big storage building out there and the town had a lot of dances there. One night we were dancing when everyone cleared the floor and here came Mother on the arm of Peter Norton. The orchestra started playing the "Heel and Toe Polka". Boy you should have seen those two fly around on that floor. Mother must have been 48 years old and she danced just like a kid. I never knew she could dance like that and everyone marveled at her dancing. Once Uncle Don Judd told me I was quite a good singer but I couldn't do as well as my Mother. She had a clear high, lovely voice and I couldn't compare with my dear old Mother when it came to singing.

(Here are a few little incidents that Mother told us children that should be preserved.)

I was the baby when she was living in the log house in Pima. One night the two of us were all alone. She put me to bed and got in beside me and went to sleep. In the night she heard someone tramping around the house. She listened and sure enough it was Indians. They were whooping and dancing and she knew they were after her: She was mortally afraid, but her mind worked fast. What would she do with her baby? If she could only find a place to hide it--but she could do nothing; she was surrounded and couldn't even call a neighbor. Finally she crept up to the little window and pulled the curtain just a little bit. As she did so an Indian pulled his gun and shot her. She fell to the floor DEAD. She had been dreaming and had fallen out of bed, the shock awakened her.

She says in part: A white man going through the Indian country was stopped by a band of Indians. They threatened to kill him. They didn't like white men anyway and he had no business in their territory. But this man wasn't easily frightened. One of the Indians pulled out a big sharp knife to cut off his head. The white man took out his pocket knife, peeled an apple, jabbed the knife into his wooden leg than ate the apple while the Indian looked on in amazement with his big knife still up in mid-air. Then the white man decided to relax. He laid back on his pack, took out his false teeth, then took out his glass eye. When he sat up and looked as if he would unscrew his head from his shoulders, it was more than the Indians could take so they1eft in a hurry and Mr. White man had the place all to himself.

Mother tells of going on a trip to St. Johns with Aunt Keturah and her husband, Alfred, by team and wagon to see Uncle Ed Lewis and family and on to Ramah, New Mexico. After the visit was over and as they were coming back they had made camp and were sleeping peacefully when she heard some pans rattling by the grub box, She saw a big dog rooting around for food and she was frightened. She couldn't utter a word so just lay there watching. Then it spied her; walked over and tramped on her, and still she didn't scream. She was paralyzed with fright. Then the thing put his two front paws on her throat and pressed hard near smashing her chest in. It finally left her and walked off. It was moonlight and, she could see very well that it was a big black dog. As soon as it left, she got up and dragged her bed under the wagon close to her sister and didn't sleep so far away from her the rest of the trip. Mother always said it was the devil trying to kill her and it has worried her all her life.

In the year 1906 we had rain all spring and lots of snow in the mountains all winter. It was the wettest winter Arizona had ever witnessed since history began to be written: All winter the river was high and flooded out north Clifton. We would go down and watch the houses go by, dancing up and down in the water, We watched pianos and all kinds of furniture go down the river. It took away thousands of acres of farming land and did a lot of damages. The hills were covered with grass and flowers knee high and it was beautiful.

Mother had several cows and calves and it took her and the children a lot of time tramping the country over hunting cows. Mother would hunt until after dark then sometimes not find them. One evening she went after them and looked all over where they often grazed but could find no sign of them. She went up as far as the Pima Wash and coming back just at dusk, she was going through an old weedy pasture. It was getting dark and as she continued walking along searching for the cows, she felt a restraining arm hold her back. She looked down and there in the weeds was an old open well. One more step and she might have gone down to the bottom--how deep she didn't know. There was no one living close enough to have heard her call for help and who knows what might have happened. She is sure her Guardian Angel was near:

Another time she found the cows by the railroad tracks with broken legs. Two of them had to be shot. Dad tried to get some compensation from the railroad but he was too slow: It surely was a blow to us all as it cut down the milk supply.

I remember one year the flies were so thick, I wonder if it could have been any worse than one of the Ten Plagues of the Egyptians in the time of Moses. The flies were so thick we could hardly breathe for them. We didn't have screens on our doors or windows which made it more miserable. We could walk out in the mesquites and sage brush and they would raise like a cloud, everywhere there was flies. It was a terrible summer.

When Ether, Della and I were real young we had to herd cows down in the bottom field and keep them out of the hay. We would get the cows settled to grazing then sit down under a big cottonwood tree while we watched them. If one of them started toward the Lucerne; we took turns running after them. Well one day we stole out my father's tuning fork, took some of the old useful song books and spent our time singing. We could all read music as well as words so we would find a three part song and Ether would sing the base, me Alto and Della soprano. We would get our pitch from the fork and away we would go. How we did enjoy singing together down in the field, song after song. (Children now days didn't learn the sol-fa way of reading music like we did when Dad was music teacher). Sometimes the cows got away and we would have to tramp down some hay getting them back but what fun we had singing together like that.

Mother was very religious and taught her children all the principles of the gospel of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. She was a Relief Society teacher for many years and loved doing it. Then after we were cut off the Pima Ward in 1901 she was made President of the Primary in the Mathews Ward. She held this position for years and did a wonderful work until Malissa Foster was put in. I don't recall any other positions of responsibility she held in the Church but she was always busy and was good in discussions in lesson work

There have been many home-comings And get-togethers held at her home-especially at Thanksgiving time. Her grandchildren loved to go to Grandma's and stay all night, make ice cream and sleep out on the lawn. Oh what fun! Grandma thought this was her special time to make cookies for that was half the fun. And to smell those cookies baking was almost as good as eating them hot—right from the oven. She enjoyed her grandchildren so much. One time the boys played a trick on her and made ice cream with a little soda pop and beer to flavor it. Guess they got a little too much because it made them all sick, (Grandma too) but they had fun over it.

No matter how short of money we were Mother always subscribed to all the Church magazines and later in life she was agent for Church books. She sold many of them but gave away more than she sold. She loved books and did a great deal of reading, although her eyes were very bad at times. There was always plenty of the best reading in the world in her home.

Being very conservative in her dress she didn't follow the styles very closely. I have a picture of her at 16 years old and she has a lovely dress on, long sleeves and her hair is parted in the middle. She wore her hair combed down over her ears and a big bob in the back as long as I can remember. When she was elderly, she started combing it straight back and bobbed it. Her hair was long and lovely and when short hair came in style she didn't like it at all. When her girls began to cut off their hair, Della was the first, later she cut mine then she said, "Thank goodness I have one girl who won't cut her hair." (meaning Grace) But the very next time Grace came over from her home in Phoenix, she had a short hair style too. Poor mother! She didn't think we looked pretty at all.

As a child, I remember Aunt Lula and Aunt Malinda wearing bustles, as they were the style at the time. They looked so nice and their dresses were so smooth with long full skirts and a train in back. When they went anywhere they took hold of the back of their skirt and held it up so gracefully to keep from tripping over their long skirts with several petticoats underneath. The petticoats had embroidered ruffles by the dozens which made their dresses stand out as they walked down the street "Wishie Washie" holding up their lovely skirts. But Mother would say, "If the good Lord wanted me to have a hump on my hips, he would have put it there." Trains and bustles were strictly "out" with her, she was very content without either. The trains were "Just dust-catchers".

Many little incidents that happened: Mother used to pause a moment and wonder about such as the time when a big brown bird flew against her kitchen window. It would flutter against it trying to get in then go to the front window and do the same. This happened about the same time every day for 10 days, not too long before she died. (This is Arminta Smith typing this and I saw that bird come fluttering at her window, and Mother Smith and I talked about it then) I witnessed this several times as I was staying with her during that time and we both thought it so strange. The lizards would pause on her screen door and peak in at her. Several snakes came in to see her and she guided them out with the broom, keeping her distance, of course, So many interesting things happened at Mother's home but I can't begin to relate them here.


I have written this story up to the time of my marriage and will omit the marriage of the rest of the family as we have their record elsewhere. I believe if Mother had had her way none of her children would have married for not one of our mates were up to her standards for her children. But they married whom they pleased and are living useful normal lives.

Mother sacrificed much to put us through school. I finished nearly four years at the Academy. I think Ether completed two years and Clyde attended at least one year--maybe more. Flo had two years there then went to Flagstaff and received her degree so she could teach school: Grace fell in love with a certain fellow and decided to leave school and get married, while what we thought was very young. In 1925, Flo was married. Della got in one year at the Academy.

Although Mother enjoyed living alone, she loved to have company and enjoyed visiting. She loved her home and tried to keep flowers and trees growing around it until her well caved in and we had to haul water to her. Many of her precious plants died but she tried so hard to keep the climbing rose bush in front of her house alive. She would pour dish-water and bath-water on it and would dip water from the ditch. She managed to keep it growing and it was a beautiful bush with clusters of tiny pink roses. It was such a comfort to her as long as she lived in her home. When she became ill and had to go to my home to be cared for, she worried so much about those roses. They finally faded and died.

The last nine years of Mother's life were spent going back and forth between our home and hers. She would become ill and we girls would go stay with her but we couldn't leave our homes and families for very long so we would bring her down to my place. She stayed in Grace's home three different times. Flo took her to California for several weeks but she stayed with me most of the time. We would care for her until she was feeling better, then she would want to go home so back we would take her. It would make her so happy, just to be in her own home. But within a month or two, she would need care again and we would take her home with us again. Hyrum was so good to help. Every time we brought her to our home it looked like it would be the last time. It seemed as though she couldn't live until morning but she would start getting better arid soon be out of bed. At last the time came that she didn't go back home again although she planned to do so, as she wanted to bake another batch of cookies for her grandsons. How she loved to have them come to stay all night and bake cookies for them.

Mother became worse and we sent for the doctor but he couldn't do anything to help her. She became weaker and weaker, then her lungs filled up with liquid. She didn't speak for several days but she recognized us

when we came into her room. It was in 1954, on Christmas Night about 10:30 p.m. when Ether went over to her bed and spoke to her. She smiled at him and then passed away, without a sound. She just "Went to Sleep"

and Mother had gone to see Della, her other children, and the rest of the folks who had gone on before.

Soon the ambulance came and took her to the mortuary and we were alone. Alone, yes, but we knew Mother was happy and out of pain and sorrow. A11 her children were near at her passing but Flo and she came for the funeral which was held several days later. Mother was buried in the Pima Cemetery beside Father and Aunt Ruth.


A young mother set her feet on the path of life. "Is the way long?" she asked her guide. "Yes", said he, "And the way is hard and you will be old before you reach the end of it, but the end will be better than the beginning." But the young mother wag happy And would not believe it could be better than these years so she played with her children and gathered flowers and bathed with them in the clear stream. The sun shone on them and life was good. The young mother cried, "Nothing will ever be better than this.'

The night came and the storm came and the children shook with fear and cold. Then the mother drew them close and covered them with her mantel and the children said, "Oh mother, we are not afraid because you are near and no harm can come to us." And the young mother said, "This is better than the brightness of the day for I have taught my children COURAGE.

And the morning came and there was a hill ahead and the children climbed and grew weary but at all times she said to the children, "A little patience and we are there." So the children climbed and when they reached the top, they said, "we could not have done it without you, Mother." And when the mother laid down that night and looked up at the stars in the sky, she said, "This is better than yesterday for my children have learned FORTITUDE. In the face of hardness today, I have given them STRENGTH."

And the next day came strange clouds that darkened the earth, clouds of hate, fear and evil. And the children groped and stumbled and the mother said, "Look up! Lift your eyes to the light". And the children looked and saw above the clouds an Everlasting Glory and it quieted them and brought them beyond the darkness and that night the mother said, "This the best day of all for I have shown my children God."

And the days went on and the weeks, the mouths and the years and the mother grew old and bent but the children were straight, tall and walked with courage and when the way was hard the children helped their mother and when the way was rough, they lifted her because she was light as a feather. And at last they came to a hill and she could see a shining road and golden gate flung wide.

And the mother said, "I have reached the end of my journey and now, I know that the end is better than the beginning for my children can walk alone and their children after them." And the children said, "You will be with us always mother, even when you have gone through the gates." And they stood and watched her as she went on alone and the gates closed after her. And the children said, "We cannot see her but she is with us still. A mother like ours is more than a memory, she is a LIVING PRESENCE."


Return to Peter Howard McBride History